SKYY® Vodka, the number-one premium vodka made in America, and Freedom to Marry, the sole national organization dedicated to winning marriage nationwide, have partnered on Toast To Marriage, a national campaign to draw together communities to increase visibility and raise funds to support public education programs in places where same-sex couples are currently excluded from marrying.
“For decades, SKYY Vodka has partnered with LGBT events, festivals and organizations, but we knew we could contribute in a fresher, more substantial way,” said Kathleen Schuart, Senior Marketing Director, SKYY Vodka. “We worked hand-in-hand with Freedom to Marry to develop Toast To Marriage as a way to help our friends, families, colleagues and communities win the freedom to marry nationwide.”
Gay couples can currently marry in 44% of the country and are banned from doing so in the other 56%.
“We know that the more Americans talk about gay families and why marriage matters, the more our national majority for marriage grows in every part of the country,” said Evan Wolfson, president of Freedom to Marry. “Through partnerships like the SKYY Vodka ‘Toast to Marriage’ campaign, Freedom to Marry aims to spark more conversations in states where marriage discrimination persists, highlighting that unfairness and helping grow support for bringing the freedom to marry home nationwide.”
The campaign will launch in Atlanta, Georgia on Monday, June 16th with an attempt at the Guinness World Record™ for the Largest Arms-Linked Toast. Entertainer and activist Lance Bass will lead the effort by linking arms with his husband, Michael Turchin, and raising a toast in support of the freedom to marry.
Georgia is one of the 31 states without the freedom to marry, and it has a constitutional amendment banning any legal relationship recognition for same-sex couples even though a majority of Georgia residents support marriage. On April 22, 2014, Lambda Legal filed a federal lawsuit seeking the freedom to marry in Georgia and recognition for marriages legally performed elsewhere.
Through August, SKYY Vodka and Freedom to Marry will host a series of fundraising events in Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, Philadelphia, Columbus, Chicago, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco. At each event, renowned photographers will take iconic portraits of couples toasting in support of marriage equality. Photos will be available at www.toasttomarriage.com.
To honor the partnership, SKYY Vodka has also created a signature cocktail, The SKYY Vodka Proposal, which will be available at events and bars nationwide this summer.
SKYY VODKA PROPOSAL
2 oz. SKYY Vodka
4 oz. ginger ale
1/2 oz. lime juice
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
Garnish with two limes
Stay up to date with the Toast To Marriage campaign at www.toasttomarriage.com and by searching for #ToastToMarriage on social media. Learn more about Freedom to Marry at www.freedomtomarry.org. To learn more about SKYY Vodka, visit http://www.facebook.com/SKYYVodka or Twitter: @SKYYVodka.